Cooler weather, crisper air and pretty soon changing leaves, are all signs that Fall is just around the corner. And as beautiful as it is, it is sure to bring rain. Rain is no stranger to us here in Newfoundland & Labrador, in fact, there is a Tropical Cyclone warning for this coming Friday, September 10th, 2021. So, you should ask yourself, “Is my home ready for impending heavy rain?” Here are 5 tips the can help you prepare your home for the heavy rainfall to come;
- Inspect Windows and Doors: Check the weatherstripping and seals around your windows and doors on the interior of your home to make sure they are intact and in good shape. It is common for windows and doors to be a site for water leakage. If not properly sealed, water can enter the home through the space around windows and door frames. You should also look on the exterior of your house to make sure there are no cracks in any of the window and door frames.
- Check Your Sump Pump: If you have a sump pump in your home, make sure you check it to ensure it is working properly. If the pump isn’t working properly and there is a heavy amount of rainfall, your basement is at high risk of flooding and causing a wide range of damage.
- Clean Gutters: Make sure to clean your gutters and remove any leaves, nests, debris, etc. Your gutters should be free-flowing and leading all water away from your home. Blocked gutters can cause foundation damage, structural issues, mold, basement flooding, etc.
- Do a Roof Check: If possible, you can safely inspect the roof of your home to check for any visible issues including missing, damaged or loose shingles and clear off any debris. If the debris builds up on your roof, if it doesn’t puncture your roof causing a leak, it could be local water flow causing pooling and water to seep into your home causing damage.
- Inspect Siding: Have a look at the exterior of your home for any holes, cracks, chips, missing pieces, etc. Even the smallest crack in your siding can create a potential problem. If not fixed this can cause moisture build up leading to wood rot and mold to form.
Making sure you have the proper Insurance Coverage
With different coverage options available, you want to make sure you are covered in the event that damages may be caused by this weekend weather. We are here to help you better understand different coverages, and make sure you and your home are ready for the Fall. We want to make sure you have the proper protection for your home before the heavy rainfall happens. Not sure if you have flood coverage? If you have any questions or concerns about your home insurance policy, give us an email or phone call today.