Effective May 11, 2021 for new business and June 11, 2021 for renewals, distracted driving convictions will now be recognized as major convictions for clients insured through Intact. Eligibility rules for major convictions remain the same.
Here are a few scenarios to illustrate how this will work:
- There is an existing policy with Intact. The listed drivers are parents and child. The policy is rated for the child’s minor distracted driving conviction. The child purchases a vehicle as of May 15, 2021 and a separate Intact policy is written. Since the child has been continuously listed on an Intact policy the distracted driving conviction remains a minor conviction.
- Policy is currently rated for a distracted driving conviction that occurred in 2019. Motor Vehicle Abstract, if received, no new convictions. Conviction remains a minor conviction.
- Policy is not rated for any distracted driving convictions. Distracted driving conviction in 2019. Considered a major conviction.
- Policy is rated for a distracted driving conviction that occurred in 2019. New distracted driving conviction in 2020. 2019 distracted driving conviction remains a minor conviction. 2020 distracted driving conviction considered a major conviction.
What is Distracted Driving?
According to Canada Drives, distracted driving is more than just using a phone while behind the wheel, it relates to any distraction that affects your judgement and prevents you from driving safely while on the road.
Some common examples of distracted driving may be:
- Using a cellphone (talking, texting, browsing the web)
- Programming a GPS
- Reading a map or book
- Watching videos
- Eating and drinking
- Smoking and vaping
- Grooming (shaving, brushing teeth, applying makeup)
- Adjusting the radio
- Listening to loud music
- Chatting with passengers
Cal LeGrow is a proud partner of the Hickman Motors Distracted Driving Campaign. Too many people in Newfoundland & Labrador are driving while distracted, putting all of our families at risk. Help us make our roads safer by promising to park your phone every time you get behind the wheel. Just click here to take the pledge and join us in parking your phone while driving.